Sometimes, you’ll have a multi-page document that should be represented in the Engage player or in CLM as multiple slides within a presentation, for example, a 20-page PowerPoint™ presentation. Vault has a special feature that creates multiple Multichannel Slide documents and a Multichannel Presentation binder from a single document.
Note: You can only use Create Presentation on documents with a PDF viewable rendition. Additionally, Create Presentation will not work for any PowerPoint™ files with hidden slides.
Before it can be used, Create Presentation must be enabled by an Admin.
To create a complete presentation from a single document:
- Open the Doc Info page for your multi-page document.
- From the Actions menu, choose Create Presentation. Note that your Admin may have given this action a different name.
- Use the Select an action to perform options in the dialog to choose whether each page should be a separate Multichannel Slide document or if the original document will be a single slide. Click Continue.
- Optional: If creating separate slides, indicate whether to auto-fill the slides’ Name and Title fields using page titles from the source file.
- If this presentation already exists, choose if you want to Update all slides, Create or update specific slides, or Create new slides. Updating slides overwrites the existing slides, but creating new slides leaves existing slides as is.
- Fill in fields for the Multichannel Presentation binder. Be sure to set Engage Content or CLM Content to Yes. See details on field defaulting, CLM Integration fields and Engage Integration fields.
- Click Next.
- Fill in fields for the Multichannel Slide documents. Be sure to set Engage Content or CLM Content to Yes. See details on field defaulting, CLM Integration fields and Engage Integration fields.
- Click Start to create the presentation binder and slide documents. Depending on your Vault’s activity, this may take a while. You’ll receive a notification when the process is complete.
Note: If updating an existing presentation to include links where links didn’t exist before, you must select either Update all slides or Create new slides. The Create or update specific slide option is not supported in this instance.
When you use Create Presentation, Vault defaults field values for the new presentation:
- First, from any fields that also applied to the original document
- Second, from any Admin-defined default values for fields on the presentation
If the Do not copy this field during Make a Copy checkbox is enabled for a field that also applied to the original document, Vault uses the Admin-defined default value, if configured, or leaves the field blank.
When you use Create Presentation, Vault defaults field values for the new slides:
- First, from any fields that also applied to the presentation and original document
- Second, from any Admin-defined default values for fields on the presentation and original document
If the Do not copy this field during Make a Copy checkbox is enabled for a field that also applied to the presentation and original document, Vault uses the Admin-defined default value, if configured, or leaves the field blank.
Name & Title Fields
When you create multiple slides from a document, the Use PPTX page title as “Name” and “Title” for each slide document option lets you auto-fill the Name and Title fields. If Vault is unable to find a page title for a given slide in the source file, you can enter values manually for these fields.
To use this option, the source file for the original document must use PPTX format, for example, cholecap_safety_hcp_presentation.pptx.
CRM Media Type Field
Vault auto-populates the CRM Media Type field for multichannel slides. You cannot edit the auto-populated value during creation, and we recommend you do not change it after creation.
If you choose to create a single slide from the document and the source document uses PPTX format, the Retain PowerPoint as Source option will auto-populate the CRM Media Type field with the PPTX file type. For all other source documents, the media type will default to PDF. If you choose to split the original document into separate slides, the media type will be Image, unless the source document is PowerPoint™ and contains at least one link, in which case the media type will be HTML.
All Multichannel document fields are shared. You can add Multichannel document fields to any document type. When you use Create Presentation, Vault copies the shared field values to the new presentation and slides.
Retain PowerPoint™ as Source
When you create a single slide from a document, the Retain PowerPoint as Source option preserves the original PowerPoint™ file instead of converting it to PDF. To use this option, the source file for the original document must use PPTX format, for example, cholecap_safety_hcp_presentation.pptx.
Retain Dynamic Link Content
Create Presentation retains dynamic link content from PowerPoint™ presentations and converts source documents into HTML in order to retain intra-document links and external links. Note that Create Presentation does not retain dynamic link content for any other file types.
Note: Create Presentation does not support links to Custom Shows in PowerPoint™. Link content should link to individual slides rather than Custom Shows.
You cannot modify the sharing settings for the presentation or slides while using the Create Presentation action. If you need to manually add users to roles, you can do so once the action is complete. When you re-use the action on the same document version, no changes will occur on the sharing settings for the presentation, but any manual assignments already made to the slides will need to be re-done because slides are always created as new documents, whereas presentations are simply versioned.
Creating presentations requires various permissions and access settings.
Using Create Presentation with Multichannel Loader
If you have access to Multichannel Loader, you can trigger the Create Presentation action for multiple documents.