When Enable Embedded Metadata Write is enabled, Vault automatically embeds document metadata in the XMP metadata headers of image source files. You can choose to add any supported document field from any document type in your Vault to the set of embedded metadata. When users save a document, Vault embeds metadata for all relevant document fields and ignores any fields that do not exist on that document’s type. Vault also updates XMP metadata on any Automated Image Renditions where the output format supports XMP metadata.
If Vault Digital Publishing is enabled, Vault pushes the updated source and rendition documents to the Digital Publishing Content Distribution Network (CDN) after completing the Embedded Document Metadata process. Vault does not add embedded metadata fields to viewable renditions it creates automatically.
Enabling Embedded Metadata
To enable this feature:
- Navigate to Admin > Settings > Application Settings.
- Click Edit.
- Select the Enable Embedded Metadata Write checkbox.
- Click Save.
Note that disabling Embedded Document Metadata after it has been enabled in your Vault prevents Vault from embedding metadata in image files from that point forward. It does not remove or alter existing embedded metadata in image files.
Configuring Embedded Metadata Fields
Vault stores a list of fields to include in XMP metadata headers in the Embedded Metadata (embedded_metadata__sys) object. While you can make this object visible in Business Admin, you can only edit it from the Embedded Metadata Admin page.
Upon enablement, the set of embedded metadata contains a single field: UUID (document_id__v). You cannot edit or remove this field. To select which other document fields Vault includes in XMP metadata headers:
- Navigate to Admin > Configuration > Embedded Metadata, then click Edit.
- Click Add.
- Select a document field from the picklist to include in embedded metadata, then click Confirm.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to add more document fields.
- When you’ve finished selecting, click Save to save the metadata set.
Upon save, Vault sets a timestamp of when the metadata set was last updated. Saving the metadata set does not create or update embedded metadata on existing document source files.
Supported File Formats
Vault supports metadata embedding for most file formats that support XMP headers, including:
- TIFF (.tif, .tiff)
- JPEG (.jpg, .jpeg)
- PNG (.png)
- DNG (.dng)
- GIF (.gif)
- PDF (.pdf)
- Adobe® Illustrator® (.ai)
- Adobe® InDesign® (.indd, .indt)
- Adobe® Photoshop® (.psd)
Document Field Limitations
In addition to formula type fields, lookup type fields, disabled fields, and deleted fields, the follow document field types cannot be added to embedded metadata:
- Binder (binder__v)
- Created From (binder_created_from__v)
- Last Auto-Filed By (binder_last_autofiled_by__v)
- Last Auto-Filed Date (binder_last_autofiled_date__v)
- Binder Locked (binder_locked__v)
- Metadata (binder_metadata__v)
- Check Out Type (checkout_type__sys)
- Checksum (md5checksum__v)
- External ID (external_id__v)
- File Modified By (file_modified_by__v)
- File Last Modified Date (file_modified_date__v)
- Last Modified By (last_modified_by__v)
- Last Modified Date (version_modified_date__v)
- Checked Out (locked__v)
- Checked Out By (locked_by__v)
- Checked Out Date (locked_date__v)
- OCR Requested (ocr_requested__sys)
- Pages OCR’d (pages_ocred_percent__sys)
You must have a security profile that includes the Admin: Objects: Embedded Metadata: Edit permission to complete the steps described in this article.